top of page

Acerca de

Chapter 2


Advertising & websites

Advertising has many formats dependent on your target audience. Newspapers have dropped over 25 % and magazines consumption 19%. [2] However, the trust of the company advertising is the reverse. Traditional media has the highest trust scores from people, whereas digital has the least.

It is important to research the most effective way for you however it is vital to maintain an internet presence on as many social media platforms as are relevant, tailoring the type of advert to the demographic for each platform.[3]  Each outlet needs to point potential clients to a central information source, this is the website. Utilising the opportunity to convert a personal account to a business account will allow for analytics by post, area and demographic.

A free website can be built on many platforms and with a little configuration can not only provide more complete information but can bring all the advertising material together. Analytics can be added via a popular search engine which allows the user to find the most effective funnel for any particular campaign.

This data will help guide efforts to the most effective form of advertising or show areas that can be improved.


When money changes hands a contract has been made and this requires recording. A receipt always is given for cash received and these are recorded as cash in. Cash out is any form of expense required to run your teaching practice. This can include music, tuning, stationery, use of home as office, insurance, professional development, training and exam fees. These can only be claimed if the educator has evidence of the transaction. All receipts need calculating as ‘profit & loss’. The difference may be taxable and eligible for National Insurance contributions. It is unlikely an accountant will be required.

A private music teacher is self employed and needs to register as such with HMRC and submit accounts. This can be via the HMRC platform as self assessment. There is a limited time to do this, the accounts then need to be retained for six years.

The service that has been paid for needs to be quantifiable and understood by all parties in the agreement. The person who pays for the service can be known as ‘the sponsor’, the person receiving the service is referred to as ‘the learner’ and the person providing the service is ‘the educator’. Obviously the sponsor and the learner may sometimes be the same person.

Chris Caton-Greasley LLCM(TD) MA (Mus)(Open)

Ethnographic Musicologist, Teacher, Researcher

bottom of page